LQ Toronto Forums  

Go Back   LQ Toronto Forums > Madina Arabic Books > Madina Arabic Book 2

Old 02-02-2010, 08:46 PM

Default Grammar terminology

Salaam

I have recently started studying Madina book two from lesson 16 after studying with an institute in London. I find the lesson very good but I am not familiar with some of the terminology used to describe the grammar. I was not taught these words in Arabic at the Institute, can anyone tell me what the following mean and how they affect a sentence.

1. silatul mausul

2. mabniy

3. aiyyu

4. Naat

5. ism masoola

6. silsa masoola

7. harf jar "bi" and "fi"

Jazakallah Khayr
Old 02-02-2010, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by halema View Post
Salaam

I have recently started studying Madina book two from lesson 16 after studying with an institute in London. I find the lesson very good but I am not familiar with some of the terminology used to describe the grammar. I was not taught these words in Arabic at the Institute, can anyone tell me what the following mean and how they affect a sentence.

1. silatul mausul

2. mabniy

3. aiyyu

4. Naat

5. ism masoola

6. silsa masoola

7. harf jar "bi" and "fi"

Jazakallah Khayr
bismiAllaah

wa alayke as-salam ukht Haleem;

All good comes from Allaah, and all the praises solely belong to him only; may he be Glorfied, and Exalted.

You have asked very beneficial questions. The below are small answers, and I hope they clarify your questions.

1) Silatu alMausul is the text which follows the ismu Mausula. For example, we say the 'man who left the house is an engineer'. The text that follows man which is highlited is the silatu alMausul. In Arabic, we say 'man aldi kharaja minal bait muhandis.

2) Mabni; means fixed. It is the passive participle of bana'=to fix/build. So it means something that is fixed. In Arabic grammar, it means a word that does not decline. For example, the pronoun howa is mabni. It's vowel sign does not change.

3) Aiyu means which. It comes as a mudaf, and whatever the follows it comes as a mudaf ilaahi; it is also declinable.

4) Naat means adjective. It also describes something a qualifiying noun which is called the manut.

5) Ismu Mausul is the relative pronoun. For example, aladi=who/which. It is mabni, and silatu alMausul will follow it, as mentioned in answer number one.

6) is the same question as number one.

7) harf=particle. jar=preposition. Bi, and Fi are both prepositions which place the noun the follow them in the genitive case/majroor. Fi means in, and bi means by/at/with/in.

To further your knowledge with the grammar terms. I would get their meanings in English, then I would look up their meanings on the internet or in dictionary. I hope the above small, and quick explanation clarifies your excellent questions. You are on the correct path to learning. Only a student that is not shy, and asks questions will learn. May Allaahu ta'al reward you for it. May ALlaahu ta'ala also allow you to master the beautiful elequent, honoured, and blessed language of the Glorious Qu'ran. May Allaahu t'ala also reward Sheikh Fuad Abdu ArRaheem, Brother Asif Mahrali, and the institute of the language of the Qu'ran with many good in this life, and most definitley in the hearafte; baraka Allaahu feek.

Allaah knows best

Last edited by adilbarra; 02-03-2010 at 02:41 AM.
Old 02-04-2010, 04:30 PM

Default Grammar terminology

Thank you very much for your help.

Jazakallah Khair
Old 02-28-2010, 08:57 PM

Question

علامة نصب, علامة رفع, علامة جر
لأنه المثنّا
Litlle explanation and translation.