LQ Toronto Forums  

Go Back   LQ Toronto Forums > Madina Arabic Books > Madina Arabic Book 2

Old 01-11-2010, 02:03 PM

Default Can someone point Mafulun Bihi for me?

Assalamualaikum,

Can someone tell me where is Mafulun Bihi in the below sentences that are from Book 2 Lesson 7, Page 46

من أىِّ إذاعةٍ سَمِعْتُم؟

I am sorry for not typing the other sentences. I want to know where is Mafulun Bihi from this sentence and the next three sentences on the page

JazaakAllahuKhairan
Old 01-11-2010, 10:31 PM
Administrator

Wa'alaykum 'Asallam Wa Rahmatullahi Wa Barakatuh,

It is not explicit in the sentence. This sentence is part of a conversation and in that context the mafulun bihi is dropped and supposed to be the 'al-akhbara' (the news) or 'ha' which ever you prefer.

Wasalam.
Old 01-12-2010, 03:49 AM

أَيَّ سُورَةٍ حَفِظَ سَعِيْدٌ؟

Brother, In the previous lesson I came across this question which is also part of the conversation in which Brother Asif pointed out that أَيَّ is mansub because it is Mafulun Bihi. Can you please explain?

Also in Book 2 Lesson 7, Page 46 the below sentence. Can you please point out where is Mafulun Bihi?
I am little confused. Appreciate your help.

سَمِعْنَا مِن ثَلاثِ إذاعاتٍ . مِن إذاعةِ الرياضِ و إذاعةِ القاهِرَةِ و إذاعةِ لنْدنَ

JazaakAllahuKhairan
Old 01-12-2010, 05:15 AM
Administrator

You question is valid. Let me see if I can explain, if not, some other brother can be clearer than I.

In this sentence:
The question is which surah Said memorized. The question (ayya = which) is about the object of the verb memorize, so it is a mafulun behi, so it is mansub.

In the sentence:
The question is not 'what' you heard, the question is 'where' you heard, so (min ayye = where) can not be mafulun behi of the verb heard.

For example:
If out of nowhere I asked you: From where did you hear? (you will ask me hear what?). So my question is incomplete because I did not specify the object.
Now let us assume that before this question of mine we had been talking about news, then you would assume that my question was about hearing the news.

I hope I was able to explain.

If any brother can explain in other words, please jump in and help me.

Wasalam,
Yusuf
Old 01-14-2010, 03:04 PM

Literaly
ayya = "which"
min ayyi = "from which" or better said "where"
Old 01-24-2010, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riyaaaz View Post

Brother, In the previous lesson I came across this question which is also part of the conversation in which Brother Asif pointed out that أَيَّ is mansub because it is Mafulun Bihi. Can you please explain?

Also in Book 2 Lesson 7, Page 46 the below sentence. Can you please point out where is Mafulun Bihi?
I am little confused. Appreciate your help.

سَمِعْنَا مِن ثَلاثِ إذاعاتٍ . مِن إذاعةِ الرياضِ و إذاعةِ القاهِرَةِ و إذاعةِ لنْدنَ

JazaakAllahuKhairan

Assalaamu alaikum brother.

To reiterate what brother irf2k has been saying: To identify the maf'ool bihi of a verb, always ask a question with the verb followed by 'what' or 'whom'. For example, to find the maf'ool bihi of حَفِظَ , ask the question 'memorized what?'. The answer is 'which surah' ( أَيَّ سُورَةٍ ).

Now you might think that سُورَةٍ has to be maf'ool bihi because in English it would seem to be that is what you are memorizing. Well not so in Arabic grammar. If سُورَةٍ were indeed the maf'ool bihi, Arabic grammar dictates that it would HAVE to be mansoob... but it is quite evidently majroor ending in kasra. So we know for a fact it cannot be maf'ool bihi. What then is it?

Under closer examination we discover that it is mudaaf elayhi for أَيَّ (which is always mudaaf), and that is why it is majroor. And since it is majroor, سُورَةٍ cannot also be maf'ool bihi mansoob as no word can be two cases at the same time.

So since أَيَّ سُورَةٍ answered our question when we asked 'memorized what?', and since we have just proven that سُورَةٍ cannot be the maf'ool bihi, we know that it MUST be the word أَيَّ and that is why this word ends with fatha.

Now let us apply this same system to the following sentences to identify the maf'ool bihi: سَمِعْنَا مِن ثَلاثِ إذاعاتٍ . مِن إذاعةِ الرياضِ و إذاعةِ القاهِرَةِ و إذاعةِ لنْدنَ . First, we find th verb, which is سَمِعْنَا . Second, we ask the question 'we heard what?'

If you go through the sentences, you will discover that what we heard (al-akhbaara the news) is never mentioned as it is understood from the previous sentence, as brother irf2k has already pointed out. So we say that the maf'ool bihi is mahdhoof (removed) because it is understood.
Old 01-26-2010, 11:23 AM

Thanks for the explanation Brother.

what about the below question? Is maf'ool bihi mahdhoof here also.

JazaakAllahu Khairan
Old 01-28-2010, 04:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riyaaaz View Post
Thanks for the explanation Brother.

what about the below question? Is maf'ool bihi mahdhoof here also.

JazaakAllahu Khairan

Yes, as brother irk2k already mentioned, the maf'ool bihi is understood to be a word like 'news', and it is mahdhoof.

The maf'ool bihi can only be mahdhoof in sentences where it is already mentioned in a previous sentence, otherwise this sentence would make no sense by itself.
Old 04-03-2014, 03:14 PM

fantastic explanations brothers