LQ Toronto Forums  

Go Back   LQ Toronto Forums > Madina Arabic Books > Madina Arabic Book 2

Old 05-15-2012, 06:31 AM

Default amkina yumkinu

I am confused about the use of this verb.Hoew do you use the conjugation of this verb

Eg Yumkinu...it is posssible
Yumkina and then Yumkinoo and so on .

When do you use these conjugation ...I mean in what context because the translation of these conjugation does not make sense to me.
Eg if i want to say "It is possible for me" why is it Yumkenuni and not Amkenu?
Old 05-16-2012, 05:28 AM
Administrator

Waalaikumussalaam
This verb means "to be possible".
What is possible is the subject (fail of the verb), to whom it is possible is the object (mafulun behi).
For example: يُمْكِنُنِي أَنْ أَخْزُجَ would mean:
'Going out is possible for me.' Wherein 'going out' is the subject and 'me' is the object.

But this sentence does not sound well in English and so we translate it:
'I can go out.'
When we use this last translation it sound like 'I' is subject and 'going out' is object. But that is incorrect.

If we keep in mind that although we translate it 'can' it actually means 'to be possible'. We must learn to analyze the sentence in Arabic.

I also had some difficulty with this verb, but with time I learned to look at it in Arabic only.

I understand your difficulty in regards to translating "It is possible for me", not as "yumkinuni" but as "amkinu".
When we use "amkinu" what we did, in our mind, was to convert 'It is possible for me' into "I can" - this sound better in English - and then use this verb with the meaning of "to can" and rationalize that "I can" is first person singular so we end up 'amkinu' but this is an error because we changed the meaning of the verb.

I hope this helped to remove some of the confusion.