LQ Toronto Forums  

Go Back   LQ Toronto Forums > Madina Arabic Books > Madina Arabic Book 2

Old 06-07-2012, 02:26 PM

Brother irf2k,
Are you around ? Would it be possible to get the Sheikh's opinion on this topic ?
Old 06-09-2012, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanweer View Post
Brother irf2k,
Are you around ? Would it be possible to get the Sheikh's opinion on this topic ?
ditto

someone should def send this one to the sheikh
Old 06-09-2012, 06:21 PM
Administrator

Waalaikum Assalam
I'll do that right away, inshAllah.
It may take some time as Shaykh may be busy.
Wassalam.
Old 06-09-2012, 07:06 PM
Administrator

Our Shaykh surprised us.
Here is his answer:
http://www.lqtoronto.com/forums/show...=4578#post4578
Wassalaam
Old 06-09-2012, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irf2k View Post
Our Shaykh surprised us.
Here is his answer:
http://www.lqtoronto.com/forums/show...=4578#post4578
Wassalaam
Indeed !!

Brother irf2k,

When you post sheikh's reply, could you also give a link of the thread where the question was originially asked ? The reader, then, would know the context of the question. I mean, you are only posting the answer. But a link to the question would help readers understand the sheikh's reply better, especially readers who will join the forum in future.

This beautiful forum that you people are maintaining is a rich source of knowledge to learner's of Arabic. May Allah bless you all.

Last edited by Tanweer; 06-09-2012 at 07:18 PM.
Old 06-09-2012, 07:31 PM
Administrator

Good point.
Will do in the future, inshaAllah.
Old 06-14-2012, 04:14 PM

i did not understand the answer very well. can someone please explain me again. is 'al-kafiroon' a proper name? then is it not 'the surah of the kafirs'
Old 06-14-2012, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aashifrashad View Post
i did not understand the answer very well. can someone please explain me again. is 'al-kafiroon' a proper name? then is it not 'the surah of the kafirs'
AsSalamu Alaikum.

The sheikh said, if someone’s name is Muslimun, then you say “Raaitu Muslimun” [I saw (the person named) Muslimun]. If you change it to “Raaitu Muslimiin”, it will mean ‘I saw several muslims’. Surely that’s not what you wanted to say. So to avoid confusion, you keep Muslimun as marfu’ and don’t change it to mansub, even if it is clearly a mafulun bihi.

Now, several Surahs are named after words that can be found in the first Ayah of that Surah. In these cases, those words (names) are used as “tag words” or “key words” for easy identification of the corresponding Surah. These words are just like the person’s name “muslimun”.

So, Suratul Kafiruna does not mean “the Surah of the Kafirs”. Rather it means “The Surah which contains the word ‘al-Kafirun’” [Ya Aiyuhal Kafirun]. Or more simply, “The Surah which has a name (key word) al-Kafirun”.

Similarly, Suratul Mu’minun (Surah #23) means ”Surah that contains the word ‘al-mu’minun’” . As you know, the first verse is [Qad Aflahal Mu’minun].

Similarly, Suratul Munafiqun (Surah # 63) means ”Surah that contains the word ‘al-munafiqun’” . As you know, the first verse is [Idh Jaa-kal Munafiqun….].

In these cases, we keep the Marfu’ word because that’s how they appear in the first verse.

But, Suratul Mutaffifin (Surah #83) has an advantage that the word in the first ayah is already a majrur [Wailul lil Mutaffifin]. This is like a person whose name is “muslimiin”, so you don’t see any problem saying “Raaitu muslimiin”.

That’s how I understood. Allah is the best knower.
Old 06-16-2012, 02:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanweer View Post
AsSalamu Alaikum.
So to avoid confusion, you keep Muslimun as marfu’ and don’t change it to mansub, even if it is clearly a mafulun bihi.
jazakallahu khairan akhi.

so , "al-kaafiroon" in the name of the surah is marfoo? or do we say, it is mansoob(because it is the maf'oolun bihi) with a waw. i mean is the word "al-kaafiroon" mabniyy bil waw fiy mahalli nasbin? or it is marfoo'
Old 06-16-2012, 03:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aashifrashad View Post
jazakallahu khairan akhi.

so , "al-kaafiroon" in the name of the surah is marfoo? or do we say, it is mansoob(because it is the maf'oolun bihi) with a waw. i mean is the word "al-kaafiroon" mabniyy bil waw fiy mahalli nasbin? or it is marfoo'
Well, the Sheikh said its irab is called hikaa'iyyun. So, I think, there is no further need to call them Marfu' or majrur or fi mahalli jarrin.

Let's leave it like that.

Tags
mudaf ilaihi, surah names