LQ Toronto Forums  

Go Back   LQ Toronto Forums > Madina Arabic Books > Madina Arabic Book 2

Old 07-04-2012, 07:40 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by aashifrashad View Post
I want to know whether there is another lesson on ليس coming in the end of book 2 or in the course of the book 3 where we get to study a little more deeper in the usage of ليس.
I ask because I have a lot of trouble analysing the some or rather most of the sentences that r given in the handout as example of ليس in quran.
Brother aashifrashad,
Do not hurry to the Qur'an to look for examples of any grammatical rules that you learn in Madina Books.
Try to limit your self to concepts learned in Madina Books and follow the methodology devised by Shaykh Abdur Rahim to teach Arabic Language. Step by step and block by block you will learn the language.
Remember we are taking our first steps, we can not start to run, else we will fall, I mean we will drop out.

Qur'an has many advanced grammar rules and exceptions that, at this point in time. will only confuse us.

The advanced grammar rules are not part of this curriculum or this forum.

As brother Benss mentioned, just follow the Madina Books, key, text, excercises and you will then, after compeleting book 3, be ready to then go to advance courses.

In regards to Laissa there is no much more in Madina Books 1 to 3. The best way to understand is to convert it into an affirmative sentence and then use laissa and see how it changes.
Only area I was little bit confused is when the ism laissa is a damir in the verb.
Take this affirmative sentence: I am sick in Arabic you would say: أنا مريضٌ now let us negate it and it will become : لستُ مريضاً , one may wonder happened to "anaa"?, in this "I" is the "tu" of lasstu.
How you would say: You are not sick. "Lassta maridan."

May Allah - Most High - make our efforts fruitfull.

Wassalam
Old 07-04-2012, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benss View Post
  • You mean "it should be laysu but remember that it can not have 2 Isma laysa" (laissa has not f‚3il).

• Brother fandanstan, as genius_original pointed it out above,

if you say:

لَيْسُوا لي إِخْوَةٌ
    then you come up against another grammatical discordance.

Indeed, in this sentence you give to the DamÓr و the role of Ism laissa and to the لي the role of khabar, but then what are you going to do with إِخْوَةٌ ?

For the meanwhile, just remember this fundamental rule in arabic:
    when the Ism/f‚3il is explicitely* mentionned, the verb agrees with its Ism/f‚3il in gender only (not in number).

So for instance:

الطلابُ فقراءُ

to negate this sentence you have the choice, either you say:

ليس الطلابُ فقراءَ
    (here the Ism laissa (الطلابُ ) is explicitely mentionned so that you don't need to agree the verb laissa in number)

or you can use the DamÓr و instead of الطلابُ , the first taking the place and the role of the second then:
    لَيْسُوا فقراءَ

In feminine it gives:
الطالباتُ فقراءُ

ليست الطالباتُ فقراءَ
or
لَسْنَ فقراءَ

The same works with verbs which are not n‚qis (that is verbs that have a f‚3il and not an Ism).

Got it ?

*saying "explicitely mentionned" I mean: "when the Ism/f‚3il is not a DamÓr".
JazakAllahu Khair! I get it! Thanks!
Old 07-05-2012, 07:20 AM

jazaKallahu khairan bros irf2k,benss, for ur cordial advise on this. I think as u said that is a very important matter that we stay limited to this curriculam so that we do not despair in the language when we encounter advanced rules and stuff. I'm clear now thank u heaps for all my bros helping me out on this.
Old 07-05-2012, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanweer View Post
AsSalamu Alaikum Brother.
Some time ago, I practiced analysing some of those "Laisa verses" of the Quran, as given in the handout 2.

Here is the link:

http://www.lqtoronto.com/forums/showthread.php?t=914

jazakallahu khairan brother,
I found the thread very very helpful.

Tags
2-02, laisa, negation