LQ Toronto Forums  

Go Back   LQ Toronto Forums > Madina Arabic Books > Madina Arabic Book 3

Old 08-06-2017, 08:25 AM

Default يَنْبَغِي أنْ تَكْتُبَ عُنْوَانَكَ بِوُ&

Assalam o-alaikum.
I am learning Arabic through DVDs lectures of our learned teacher Mr. Asif Mehar Ali, based on Madina Arabic Books. I have completed books 1 & 2 and am currently reading book 3.

I was introduced to the concept of Al-Masdar Al-Muawwal before starting the chapter 17 of Madina Arabic Book 2. Now I am trying to read more about this in Madina Arabic Book 3, English Key, chapter 10.

Here I have come across the following sentence:
يَنْبَغِي أنْ تَكْتُبَ عُنْوَانَكَ بِوُضُوْح
I have come to know, through dictionary, that there is a verb نَبَغَ يَنْبَغُ
I have gone through the conjugation table of this verb on xxx but could not find the form يَنْبَغِي
The form closest to it is تنْبَغِي which is فعل مضارع منصوب for أنتِ

I need help to understand this sentence. I am also finding it difficult to understand that how أنْ تَكْتُبَ is acting as a فَاعِل

Regards,

Irfan Mirza

Last edited by irfmza; 08-09-2017 at 04:38 AM. Reason: to correct a spelling error in the topic
Old 08-06-2017, 01:43 PM

wa-'alaikumus-salam.

The verb is actually a Form VII verb انبغى - ينبغي

Please see page 22 of the Glossary book:

http://ia601407.us.archive.org/1/ite...s_Glossary.pdf
Old 08-06-2017, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irfmza View Post
I am also finding it difficult to understand that how أنْ تَكْتُبَ is acting as a فَاعِل
In book 2, have you practiced the verb Amkana - Yumkinu (to be possible) ? If you have, then the same situation applies here.

http://www.lqtoronto.com/forums/show...hlight=yumkinu
http://www.lqtoronto.com/forums/show...ghlight=Amkana

Yanbagii means "becomes proper". The thing that makes it proper is the Faa'il.

If we say, "It is proper that you should write" then in Arabic we say "That you write makes it proper" or "Your writing makes it proper". So "your writing" becomes Faa'il.
Old 08-07-2017, 08:37 AM

Default .........ينبغي

Dear Tanwir Sahib,
Thank you very much for the prompt and precise reply. May Allah bless you with the best of every thing.
Irfan
Old 08-08-2017, 11:42 AM

Dear Tanweer Sahib,
Since you have brought my attention towards the similarity between اِبَغَى يَنبَغِي and آمْكَنَ يُمْكِنُ, I started wondering if I ever understood آمْكَنَ يُمْكِنُ in the first place. I must admit that I did not.
And now, as I start working with the conjugation table of آمْكَنَ يُمْكِنُ, I have come to realize that it may not possible for me to use all its conjugations except يُمْكِنُ as under:
(الجملة الفعلية starting with the verb in third person, masculine, singular form + pronoun as its مفعول به)
يُمْكِنُنِي أن آخْرُجَ مِن الفَصل
يُمْكِنُك أن تَخْرُجَ مِن الفَصل
يُمْكِنُهُ أن يَخْرُجَ مِن الفَصل
etc etc.

Is this so? Other forms of this verb like اُمْكِنُ، تٌمْكِنُ do not exist?

Regards,

Irfan Mirza
Old 08-08-2017, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irfmza View Post
Is this so? Other forms of this verb like اُمْكِنُ، تٌمْكِنُ do not exist?

Dear Brother, I am not knowledgeable enough to answer this question. I have only seen Yumkinu in Madinah Books, not any other form.

May be, the third person feminine singular (Tumkinu) can also be used ?? I don't know. Suppose instead of Masdar Muawwal, we use a Masdar and the Masdar is feminine, should we use Tumkinu? Example: He can pray tahajjud every night. Tumkinu-hu Salatu at-Tahajjudi Kulla Laylin.

But I really don't know.
Old 08-08-2017, 03:48 PM

Thank you Tanweer Sahib for your interest in my problem.
I think you are right in saying that third person, singular, feminine form of 'Yumkino' can also be used. This is what I have heard from the Arabic speaking people around me as well. As I am presently living in Saudi Arabia, I have the privilege of getting first hand advice from Arabic speaking people. However communication barrier sometimes becomes a limitation. Moreover, a common native usually does not have a good grasp over the grammatical aspects of their language (at least this is true about my knowledge regarding grammar of Urdu and Punjabi).
When I consider the Urdu and English counterparts of 'Amkana', I find that 'Mumkin', 'Imkaan' and 'Possible' are all nouns. I am trying to make myself comfortable with use the concept of 'Possibility' as a verb.

May Allah increase our knowledge. Ameen.

Irfan
Old 08-08-2017, 03:50 PM

Default Yumkino

Thank you Tanweer Sahib for your interest in my problem.
I think you are right in saying that third person, singular, feminine form of 'Yumkino' can also be used. This is what I have heard from the Arabic speaking people around me as well. As I am presently living in Saudi Arabia, I have the privilege of getting first hand advice from Arabic speaking people. However communication barrier sometimes becomes a limitation. Moreover, a common native usually does not have a good grasp over the grammatical aspects of their language (at least this is true about my knowledge regarding grammar of Urdu and Punjabi).
When I consider the Urdu and English counterparts of 'Amkana', I find that 'Mumkin', 'Imkaan' and 'Possible' are all nouns. I am trying to make myself comfortable with use the concept of 'Possibility' as a verb.

May Allah increase our knowledge. Ameen.

Irfan