LQ Toronto Forums  

Go Back   LQ Toronto Forums > Madina Arabic Books > Classes in Toronto Area

Old 08-07-2012, 11:47 AM

Default An afternoon at 86 Rivalda Road

I had an opportunity to travel to Toronto, and I had planned to visit Institute of the Language of the Quran at 86 Rivalda Road. In a pleasent Ramadan afternoon, I was able to go there.

Rivalda Road is a quiet semi-residential, semi-industrial neighbourhood. Institute of the Language of the Quran is located at a nice-looking Islamic centre called Talim-ul-Islam. You can see it in Google Streetview. Rivalda Road is located very close to Highway 400, one of the busiest highways in Toronto. You have heard Br. Asif talking about it when he taught the Maadhi verbs....... "from Hua to Hunna, it is like driving in a city road. But once you are in Anta, you are in the Highway. At a high speed you finish ta, tuma, tum, ti, tuma, tunna. Then you get off the Highway at Anaa......" Yes, there is also a Tim Horton coffee shop nearby, where Mubtada Muakkhar goes to drink coffee. I didn't see any shop selling Halwa Puri or Samosa though.

As I entered into the Talim-ul-Islam through the large glass doors, I found the non-profit bookstore on my right. There was a large placard or display board outside the bookstore. What is written on that placard is very interesting. Just as Br. Asif meticulously teaches us the rules of Arabic grammar, that placard also very clearly teaches the visitiors how to behave in the bookstore. It mentions what type of behaviour is allowed, and what is not. In particular, rude behaviour will not be tolerated. The rules, I am sure, were meant to be serious. But I kind of felt like kindergarten kids are being taught manners by their teachers.

Once inside, I was marvelled at the large collection of books stuffed inside the room. On the left are Madinah Books and other books of Dr. Abdur Rahim. On the far side, Syrian-printed colour tajweed mushafs of the Quran. On the right, Mohar Ali translation and Noor-ul-yaqiin. And everywhere else, hundreds of Islamic books at a very reasonable price.

As I was looking at the books, a gentleman came in. Guess who? Our teacher Br. Asif Meherali himself. He looked a little different than what we see in the videos, because he has short unshaved beard on his face.

I was delighted to talk to him. He spoke with the same polite and gentle voice that we hear in the videos, with a smiling face and a pair of witty, intelligent eyes. He advised me what books I should buy at my level of knowledge in Arabic. I purchased a few books, and he gracefully offered me the "blue book" (El-dahdah verb dictionary) and the laminated verb forms sheet for free, as a gift.

Later, I ventured into the main hall of Talim-ul-Islam. It's a large hallroom, divided into two parts. One part is for prayer, the second part is what I think is the classroom. It had many tables and foldable chairs. I noticed the famous white writing boards, where Br. Asif wrote lessons in the videos. I felt a little emotional. I noticed many brothers and sisters getting ready for the Iftar. They were mostly Asians or Africans.

Oh, how I wished I could stay a little longer! But I had to go. I don't know if I can return to this place again. But till we meet again, "Fii Amaanillah" to everyone of this beautiful Islamic institution. May Allah bless you all.

Last edited by Tanweer; 08-07-2012 at 11:59 AM.
Old 08-07-2012, 12:29 PM

assalaamu alaikum.
MashaAllah. May Allah accept our deeds and join our hearts with love.
Old 08-17-2012, 05:08 PM

Send a message via MSN to benss Send a message via Skype™ to benss

J‚zakAllahou brother Tanwer for this beautiful message.
I hope I'll have also the opportunity to visit the Institute one day. And what a honor for having met Ustadh Asif in the flesh ! That was certainly a great emotion when you met him.

May The Most Merciful send His Mercy on Ustadh Asif and grant him the compagny of the most eloquent arabic speaker in the Firdaous, Mohammed (pbuh).

(Saying that after completing, a couple of hours ago , the final lesson of the last and 4th book of the Medina serie, Subh‚naka All‚houmma wa bihamdik

Subh‚naka l‚ 'ilma lana illa m‚ 'allamtan‚ innaka anta al-'alÓmou al hakÓm;
Allahoumma zidna 'ilman n‚fi'an, y‚ 'alÓm;
Wa rizqan taiiban, y‚ razz‚q;
wa-j'ali-l-qur`ana r‚bi'a qulŻbin‚, wa-j'al-hou Hujjatan lan‚, l‚ Hujjatan 'alaina,
wa-j'alna mina alladhi yatlŻnahu haqqa til‚watih, wa yatadabbarounahou, wa ya'malouna bihi,
wa-rzuqna-l-ikhl‚s wa-l-iman bihi, ya Rahm‚n y‚ RahÓm.
wa ‚khiri da'w‚na ani-l-hamdulill‚hi rabbi al-'‚lamÓn.

)
Old 08-17-2012, 09:50 PM

@ hassan,
jazakallahu khairan.

@benss,
Congratulations on your completeing the madinah course. MaShaaAllah!!
Pray for us, so that we too can do this in near future.
Old 09-13-2012, 03:05 PM

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by benss View Post
(Saying that after completing, a couple of hours ago , the final lesson of the last and 4th book of the Medina serie, Subh‚naka All‚houmma wa bihamdik
[i]
brother, is the 4th book already out?
Old 09-14-2012, 10:01 AM

Send a message via MSN to benss Send a message via Skype™ to benss

Quote:
Originally Posted by aashifrashad View Post
brother, is the 4th book already out?
Sal‚mou'aleikoum wa rahmatoull‚h wa barak‚touh,

sorry brother aashifrashad, I meant the "3rd book".
I'm often doing this "mistake" because at the university of Medina, the serie of Medina books is taught and split into 4 books, while here in LQtoronto it is taught by Ust‚dh Asif with 3 books, the last and 3rd book includes actually the 3rd and 4th books of Medina university courses.