LQ Toronto Forums  

Go Back   LQ Toronto Forums > Madina Arabic Books > Advanced Questions

Old 06-08-2012, 09:07 AM

Default A question about "An intermediate Dictionary of verb conjugation" by Dahdah

Salam Alaikum,

I bought "An intermediate Dictionary of verb conjugation" by Dahdah. But it seems so complicated to me, i cant find the verbs i want, not even in the index. What am i doing wrong? How should this book be used?

Thank you
Old 06-08-2012, 11:30 PM
Administrator

Assalamu Alaikum
You have to know the root of the verb.
If this is a blue book, then at the end of the book there is an index by root letters and next to it there is a 3 digits number (this is not the page number), this is the number that appears in each page next to the verb in a black circle. These numbers can easily be found as they are ascending. The meaning of these 3 digits is explained at the beginning of the book, tells you what kind of verb it is.
Say I want to look up for the conjugation of verb وَضَعَ I look up at the end of the book under the letter 'waw' and next of this verb I find the number 135.
Next I look thru the book for the number 135 in the black circle and (in my book) I find it in page 36. There is the conjugation.

Another situation:

Say I'm looking for verb وَظَأَ , the end of the book tells me to go to number 135. I go to 135 and I find وَضَعَ instead.
This means that the conjugation of وَظَأَ is same as وَضَعَ .
I hope this helps.
Wassalasm
Old 06-09-2012, 03:39 PM

Alaikum Assalam Brother, irf2k

Thank you very much for your guidation. As you said, first off i have to read out the beginning of the book and learn what those digits mean. I have to translate this beginning for myself first, and then i will see if i can use it the way you told me.

Maa assalama
Old 06-09-2012, 06:49 PM
Administrator

Waalaykummussalam
You most welcome.
To learn the meaning of those 3 digits is not a must.
The important is to find the root of the verb.
When I was in book 2 I always found very difficult to get a conjugated verb and find out the root form.
You need to find out:
1. Is it madi, mudaria or amar?
2. If mujaraad or mazid verb, (you will learn about mazid in book 3)
3. What has been prefixed or suffixed to the verb

All this requires knowledge of verb conjugation as well as rules of mazid (incremented) verbs.
Please do not feel discouraged. You will grasp it, inshaAllah, by the time you are in book 3.
Until then feel free to ask the root form of any verb in this forum. That is what this forum about.

May Allah increase us all in knowledge.

Wassalam
Old 06-09-2012, 07:39 PM

Actually i found out i am mistaken telling you i have the intermediate one. No, i bought the red book ( the most comprehensive one )

Alhamdulillah, i do know how to find the root etc. I just need to translate the first pages where it says how the book is organized. Then i will have an idea how to look up a verb. I will write here again when i am done.

Jazakum al khayr ya akhee
Old 06-18-2012, 03:33 PM

irf2k : The way you told me, i finally figured out everything in the book.

Thanks again brother

Wassalam